Federal Tax IDs apply to many different groups, including:
Generally, if any of the following are true you still need to acquire a Federal Tax ID:
- Individuals/Sole Proprietors
- Limited Liability Companies (LLC)
- Other employers and business entity types
Can I use my Federal Tax ID as soon as I receive it?
- You need to pay business taxes.
- You have one or more employees.
- You want to open a business bank account.
- You want to start a line of business credit.
- You form an LLC, Corporation, or Partnership.
- You change from one business entity type to another such as from an Individual/Sole Proprietor to an LLC.
- You are starting a Keogh Plan, also known as a Self-Employed Pension.
- You want to bid for a federal government contract.
Yes. Your US Tax ID Number can be used immediately for most of your business needs including opening a bank account, applying for local US business licenses, and filing a tax return by mail.
However it can take up to 15 days after receiving your US Tax ID to receive official documents in the mail which indicate that your ID has become part of the Internal Revenue Service's permanent records. And you must wait until this occurs before you can file an electronic tax return, make an electronic tax payment, or pass an Internal Revenue Service Taxpayer Identification Number matching program.
Apply Now Online:
Apply for US Tax Id Number Online >
Application for Tax Id Number in US >
US Tax ID Form
Business Tax ID Number US
Choose Your State:
|Businesses that Need a Tax ID Number:
- Sole Proprietor / Individual
- Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Personal Service Corporation
- Church Controlled Organization
- Non-profit Organization
- Estate of a Deceased Individual
Need to Incorporate of File an LLC Online in US?